Here’s the thing…
In a world of hectic schedules, meetings, and running errands, we have been blessed with the presence audio magic. Or as most people would say: Podcasts and audio books. I’ve always admired those avid readers who consume 7- 8 hard cover books a month and still manage to have a productive lifestyle. Can I be transparent? I am NOT one of those people. Honestly, I’ve tried to be one of those folks before and chilllleeee *in my grandma Georgia’s voice* I failed miserably.
I would log into to my amazon.com account super excited to purchase the latest positive psych book or the trending “business hacks” guide. Once they came in the mail, I would stack them right beside my comfy reading chair. However, those wonderfully untouched books seemed to always make their way to my dusty bookshelf with the rest of my good intentions.
When the truth set me free…
What I know for sure is that new information and learning makes me extremely happy! Seriously, I get a natural high when I learn something useful for my journey. So… I had to figure out an info consumption strategy that was conducive for my hectic schedule. On a late Friday evening, I had a “come to Jesus” moment with myself, that resulted in two critical conclusions: Conclusion #1: I’m not a sit down for hours to read kinda gal. Sad, but very true. Conclusion #2: By listening to podcasts, I’ve been consuming just as much, if not more, knowledge and information on key topics of interest on a weekly basis.
With my new found love of all things audio, I realized that I’d unknowingly opened up a new and more effective way of learning for myself!
I’m proud to say that I am able to get through at least one book every two weeks. I went from 1-2 books a year to 3 books in one month. My favorite time to listen to audio books is when I’m getting dressed in the morning, washing dishes, doing laundry, and even while I’m driving in traffic. It’s a great way to turn mindless activities into productive learning opportunities!
Because I truly believe that sharing is caring. I wanted to share my top 5 podcasts as well as the audio books for the month of May. Check them out below.
My Top 5 Podcasts
- The School of Greatness with Lewis Howes (Lifestyle, Entrepreneurship + Wellness)
- The Friend Zone (Comedy + Mental Fitness)
- Elevation Church Podcast (Faith + Inspiration)
- The Read (Pop Culture + Comedy)
- The Secret to Success with CJ & Eric Thomas (Motivation, Lifestyle + Entrepreneurship)
My Current Audio Books
- What I Know For Sure (Finished this one in 5 days!)
- #AskGaryVee: One Entrepreneur’s Take on Leadership, Social Media, and Self-Awareness (75% completed!)
- Think and Grow Rich: A Black Choice (75% completed!)
- The Happy Vegan: A Guide to Living a Long, Healthy, and Successful Life (Not started)
- Mindset: The New Psychology of Success (50% completed!)
What about YOU?
Is there some activity or positive habit you’ve been trying to incorporate into your life? What’s stopping you from making it happen? How can you modify this thing to make it work for you? I’d love to hear about it. Drop me a line on my Facebook!
Until next time – sending you ultralight beams of love + happiness!